Spring 2024 Advising and Registration
Here are instructions for spring registration, which begins Wednesday, November 8th. There are sections below on courses offered, obtaining permission to add courses, advising appointments, and notes for graduating seniors. Please follow the directions carefully and take the necessary steps in a timely manner. Thanks!
A list of Policy Studies courses is available at https://bit.ly/pst-sp2024 and in the bio of the Policy Studies Instagram. Some courses have PST numbers and some have PAI but all count toward the major. There are new or updated courses on conflict and collaboration (PAI 300.3), education policy (PAI 310), North Korea (PAI 400.3), and environmental policy (PST 451).
Obtaining Permission to Add Courses:
For courses requiring instructor permission, email the instructor. For courses requiring departmental permission, email Michelle Walker and be sure to include the section number if the course has multiple sections.
As indicated below, you should meet with either Professor Coplin or Michelle Walker depending on whether you’ve taken PST 315. If you’re an honors student graduating next year, you should also meet with Professor Wilcoxen. There are also short notes for people currently studying abroad or planning to do so in the fall. Finally, everyone should also contact their Home College advisor.
- If you have not taken PST 315:
- Email Professor Coplin, to schedule an advising appointment. All meetings need to be arranged in advance via email. He is available to meet in person in his office Mon 12-2, Wed 11:30-2:00, Fri 9:30-10:30 and Fri 1:30-4:30. He can meet on Zoom on Tue and Thu 9:00-10:00 and 1:30-4:30.
- If you have taken PST 315 or are taking PST 315 this semester:
- Email Michelle Walker to schedule an in-person or zoom appointment. Beginning Tuesday, October 24, Michelle will be available in 15 minute intervals on Tuesday afternoons, 12:30-3:00, and Thursday mornings, 9:00-12:30. If you cannot schedule during those times, you must email Michelle to schedule an appointment for another time. When you email Michelle, please include some days and times you're available. She will email you an open time slot.
If you have taken PST 315, do not make a registration appointment to see Coplin if you have not seen Michelle Walker. He will send you to talk to Michelle first.
- If you are in the honors program:
If you plan on graduating in December 2024 or May of 2025, you should meet with Professor Wilcoxen this semester to talk over your thesis topic and options regarding your faculty advisor. Send a note to set up an appointment and include some days and times you are available. You should also plan to enroll in PST 400.2: Advanced Policy Research in the coming semester (Spring 2024).
- If you are currently studying abroad:
- Email either Professor Coplin or Michelle Walker depending on whether or not you have taken or are taking PST 315. It will probably be easiest to discuss your schedule by email but Zoom is also available.
- If you are planning to go abroad:
- Many courses offered by SU Abroad centers will count as Policy Studies electives as long as they are 300 level or above and have appropriate course prefixes. See the electives section of https://bit.ly/pst-rules for the list of prefixes. Please note that except in very unusual circumstances that are approved in advance, internships done abroad cannot be substituted for PST 410. It is not possible to count an internship done abroad toward 410 after the fact.
Notes for Graduating Seniors:
- If you are graduating in Fall 2023:
- You will receive a separate email certifying your major requirements.
- If you are graduating in Spring 2024:
- You must meet with Michelle Walker and your home college advisor this semester to make sure you have or will have fulfilled all necessary requirements for graduation. (we don’t want you to have any surprises!)
Site Index |
Peter J Wilcoxen, The Maxwell School, Syracuse University